Thursday, October 14, 2010

Media Meditation #3 : Warring With Wix

Xiw Htiw Gnirraw: 3# Noitatidem Aidem

For those of you who don't know what the heck a 'wix' is, Wix.com is a free website creator. The process is ungodly simple and makes other host sites like Freewebs.com look archaic and cruel. To join Wix you make yourself a screenname and then you get to work. There's over 270 templates you can use and from there you can customize them in an infinite amount of ways.

With the drag and drop format you don't need to know a thing about coding to be a website god.

And yet, despite its simple and sleek design, I have waged war with Wix for the last week.

Yes, it was easy to access.

Yes, I got everything how I mostly wanted it.

But wow are there a lot of of buttons and things for someone who cannot manage to follow tutorial videos.



Tutorial video for Wix.com


It was just mind blowing. With a menu on each side of the screen, for those who can't count that's four menus, and multiple tabs with tabs with tabs it was just an overload. After three miserable attempts to figure out how to make a page, I began to get the hang of it and just flew through the process.

Put this here. Drag that here. No! God damn it, you're supposed to stay there! Lock this here. Add this. Delete this one. No! I thought I locked you there!

Image from Hyperbole and a Half.

I think my room mate and our boyfriends thought I was a little insane after awhile, but that was perfectly alright. I had fun.

In the end, I built a gorgeous website that I marvel at anytime I'm on a computer (I have a tab open now with it in fact).

Soños is my creation, my pride and joy. In Galician, soños means dreams. This was the perfect title.

Galician is not only a beautiful language, but a language that appears in my novel Dreams as the language of magic and spells. See how it all just ties together?

I love this site, not Wix of course, just my site. It's something I'm going to keep around for awhile, update and keep pretty until I'm big and famous and can hire people to make me a website with my own domain.

Can anyone say Soños 2.0?

2 comments:

  1. Wow!

    Excellent blog post, Kaitlyn, and your WIX blog is gorgeous.

    Nicely designed.

    Now, will you start blogging there, too?

    Ha,

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not a blog, it's just a website to host some of my work :)

    I glad you like it!
    Took forever tog et just right haha.

    ReplyDelete