Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Hsif Rehtona Tsuj Ton : 2# Noitatidem Aidem

Media Meditation #2 : Not Just Another Fish

Later on that same week that I saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, I was introduced to a band I'd never heard of before. My friend Matt had two extra tickets and offered to take me and my roommate down to Flynn Theatre to see Great Big Sea. My roommate Kit absolutely loved them, so taking her word and Matt's I trusted that it would be a fun little event and to the Flynn we went.

Great Big Sea has been together for nearly eighteen years playing their own rendition of folk songs from Newfoundland, their home. They have been described as a band that reflects Newfoundland's energetic spirit with songs that range from lovesick soldiers to dreaming of meeting a mermaid.
Image from Snob's Music

A video recording of one of the songs performed at the Flynn.

I was pretty happy I was invited to go see them even though I'd never before heard of them. Their music was amazing. I'm not a huge fan of folk music, usually it depends on the topic at hand, but their songs we're really amazing. Behind them while they performed they had three screens that occasionally flashed either their band name, images related to the song, just images of water, or close ups of the band playing, courtesy of their drummer.

Besides playing with instruments they did quite a bit with just their voices that was amazing. Their second encore was completely a cappella - they didn't even use microphones. It was simply mind blowing.

Their songs were more addicting than I thought they'd be. While walking home from the concert the three of us were singing random bits of all different songs, unable to get them out of our heads. It was definitely an event I would have regretted missing. I can't wait for them to be in the area again now.

2 comments:

  1. I was at that GBS show, Kaitlyn!

    How funny.

    I recognize Sean's sweater.

    Yes, GBS rocks - I am a huge fan.

    Glad you went, and this is an excellent blogging throw down of their mojo.

    I may get tired of the backwards spelling thing after a while, though.

    :)

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? Haha that's pretty funny. They were so amazing!

    I thought of that, that's why I added the proper spelling beneath it. :D

    But glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete